Name Change Procedure in Gazette of India (Gazette Notification)
1. Affidavit of Change of Name : –
For the Name Change Procedure, first you need to visit a Notary in the District Court of your City. You should ask him to make an Affidavit for Name Change. This Affidavit should be on a stamp paper of Rs.10 or Rs. 20. The details you must mention in the Affidavit are your Previous Name, Current Name, Your Complete Address, Reason for Change of Name.
Married Women should remember to write these details on Affidavit:
- Current Name with Husband’s Name and Current Postal Address
- Previous Name with Father’s Name and Father’s Postal Address
- Date of Marriage
Also Read : Sample Affidavit for Change of Name
2. Newspaper Publication :
The 2nd Step in Name Change Procedure is to get your Change of Name published in 2 Local Leading Newspapers. Please remember to collect at least 10 copies of both Newspapers. These may also be helpful for any other documents in future.
The Newspaper Publication must include the following details :
- Your Previous Name
- Your Current Name (Changed Name)
- Husband’s Name & Date of Marriage (In Case of Married Women)
- Current Address
- Date of Affidavit
- Name of Notary
Also Read :
Sample Newspaper Publication for Married Women :
“ I, Karishma Tiwari married Amit Singh (on 02-03-2015) residing at D-318,La-Place,Hazratganj, Lucknow have changed my name to Karishma Singh vide Affidavit dated 15-02-2015 sworn before Notary Ajay Pratap Singh, Lucknow”
3. Publication of Change of Name in Gazette of India:
The last step is to get your Change of Name published in the Gazette of India. For This Procedure, you will need to send a few documents in an Envelope to the following address : Controller of Publication, Department of Publication, Civil Lines, Delhi-54
The Documents which are to be enclosed in the envelope to be sent to the Controller of Publication are:-
- Request/Forwarding Letter : This letter shall describe about all the documents enclosed within the Envelope.
- Specimen for Change of Name (Hard Copy ) : Take a printout of the Name Change Specimen. It should have the signature of applicant and 2 witnesses.
- Original Affidavit : Affidavit for Change of Name.
- Original Advertisement : The Newspaper Publication in Original.
- Specimen for Change of Name (Soft Copy) : Copy the Specimen File(MS Word File) of Change of Name in a CD(Compact Disc).
- A Postal Order/Demand Draft of
Rs.1000Rs.1100 in the name of Controller of Publication, Department of Publication, Civil Lines, Delhi-54. You will get 4 copies of Gazette Notification in this amount.Please note that the amount of Demand Draft will be increased from 31/03/2017. You can read the article mentioned at the bottom of this page to download the soft copy of the Gazette Notification.
- Two photographs
duly attested by a Gazetted Officerpasted on a plain piece of paper with your New Name typed on it.
- A certificate duly signed by the applicant declaring that the contents of hard copy and soft copy are similar.
- An Undertaking duly signed by the applicant which shows his/her old and new name with complete details of father’s / husband’s name with full residential address declaring that the facts stated therein are true & correct to the best of his/her knowledge and belief. For individuals working with Central Government, they will be required to submit Deed for change of name in accordance with the Ministry of Home Affairs 0. M. No. 190016 / 1 / 87-Estt. dated 12/03/1987. In case of Indians who are living abroad, he / she will submit deed duly attested by the respective Indian Embassy / Indian High Commission, in original to this Department.
- Applicant should also submit a self attested Photo ID proof. Only the applications either submitted personally or sent by Post / Courier will be entertained.
Click on the Link for —> Specimen of Change of Name : Scroll down to the bottom of the Page to see the Specimen.
Note : Remember that these documents should not be older than 1 Year and you must be over 18 Years of Age for this Procedure.
This Publication in Gazette of India looks like the Picture on the Right can be used as a Supporting Document for Change of Name in almost all Major Indian Documents like :
- Indian Passport
- Pan Card
- Election Card (Voter ID Card)
- Bank Account
- Ration Card
For Married Women applying for Passport :
You need to provide either ‘Annexure D’ i.e., Joint Affidavit or your ‘Marriage Certificate’ as a supporting document for the Change of Name in Indian Passport.
For Any Communication Via E-mail & Phone,
You can get in touch with Controller of Publication :
Email Address : email@example.com
Phone Number : (011)
You can download the soft copy of the Gazette Notification from egazette Website.
You may also like to Read :
- Name Change Procedure in Maharashtra Gazette Online
- How to Change your Name and Address in Aadhaar Card ?
- How to Change your Name in Pan Card ?
- How to Change your Name in Passport in India ?
- How to Change your Name in CBSE Certificate or Marksheet ?
- How to Change your Name in ICSE Marksheet ?
- How to Apply for Indian Passport Online ?
Note : We are not legally qualified and this Name Change Procedure data is based on Personal Experience.