I have seen a lot of people facing issues in getting their name changed in Maharashtra. So, if you are a resident of Maharashtra and you want to know the legal procedure to change name in Maharashtra, this article is for you. The name change procedure in Maharashtra is quite easy and can also be done online. Earlier we have talked about Name Change Procedure in Gazette of India, which has a bit complex procedure as compared to name change in Maharashtra.
A lot of people think that name change procedure in Maharashtra would take a lot of time. However, Department of Government Printing & Stationary, Mumbai has come up with online procedure for change of name in Maharashtra. With the introduction of name change procedure in Maharashtra online, people can follow the easy steps and make the payment online for change of name. An applicant can view or download the name change gazette notification after approval from DGPS.
There are a lot of cases in which people may like to change their name :
- Name Change in Maharashtra due to Marriage.
- Name Change in Maharashtra due to Divorce.
- Name Change in Maharashtra due to Change of Religion.
- Name Change in Maharashtra due to any Miscellaneous Reason.
Name Change Procedure in Maharashtra Gazette Online
Before we start with the name change process and procedure to fill up name change application in Maharashtra, make sure you have a valid Aadhaar Card and your Mobile Number is associated with your Aadhaar. An Aadhaar Number is required during the process and associated mobile number is required for receiving an OTP(One Time Password). If you do not have an it, you can book appointment for Aadhaar Enrolment and apply for aadhaar card online.
Once you have an Aadhaar Card in your name, you can follow the step by step procedure given below to change your Name in Gazette of Maharashtra.
1) Open this Website : https://dgps.maharashtra.gov.in/
2) To view your name change application in “English” click on English. To view application in “Marathi” click on Marathi. You can find this link at the top right hand side of the page.
To apply Online for Name Change, click Change in Name link on the left hand sidebar, under Online Services.
3) Enter your Login ID & Password. First Time Users must click the link “Create New Account” to create a new account first.
4) Select Change In Name.
Note : With the help of Transaction History you can find Past Transaction and Receipts.
5) Read all the instructions for Change in Name.
6) Download the Change in Name form, print it, fill up the form completely with each and every detail. Scan the filled up form. This form is to be attached along with scanned copy of other documents.
7) Put a tick mark on the box corresponding to “I accept above conditions“.
8) Click on Next tab to view your Online application form of Name Change.
Note for OTP Request
1) Enter your valid 12 digit UID(Aadhaar Card) Number in the text box, in order to fetch photo id & address details in the following application form.
2) Click on Search.
You will now see a popup window which says “Dear Customer, Please note that your Mobile Number must be registered with Aadhaar to get your One Time Password(OTP)”.
3) If your mobile number is registered with Aadhaar, you can click on Continue.
Otherwise, you can read this article on : How to Register Mobile Number with Aadhaar Card ?
4) You will now receive OTP on your Mobile Number registered with Aadhaar.
The message will look something like this : OTP for Aadhaar (XXXX2323) is 304030 and is valid for 10 minutes. (Generated at 27/07/2016 08:34:37)
5) Click on Validate OTP (One time password) after entering the OTP received on your mobile number.
6) Click on Proceed button. All data that is fetched through Aadhaar OTP could be seen in the application form after authentication.
7) Select the for caste category that applies for you from the options OPEN /BACKWORD in Online application form.
If you select the option IsBackword, then your need to attach Old Name of Caste Certificate.
Note : Open Category Application form fees = Rs. 522.47/- & Backward Category Application form fees= Rs. 272.47/- [Last Updated : 27/07/2016]
8) If the applicant is Minor i.e., below 18 yrs, click on IsMinor check box.
9) Enter each and every information which is required to be displayed in Name Change Gazette such as OLD NAME, NEW NAME & ADDRESS.
Note : If the Applicant wants to add District, Taluka and Village in Gazette, it should be added in Address field.
10) Tick Mark on I Accept box and click on Proceed to continue.
11) Attach all the required documents.
Mandatory documents for Name Change in Maharashtra are Scanned Copies of Photo, Photo Id Proof, Address Proof & Completely filled up Name Change form.
Follow the following steps to attach your documents.
- Select Document Type from drop down.
- Select Document Name from drop down.
- Browse documents in .jpeg, .jpg and in .pdf format. Size of the file should be upto 500 kb only.
- Click on ADD button to add the document.
12) Click to Continue to proceed for online payment (Note: The applicant needs to attach Old Name Caste Certficate, if applied under Backward category)
13) Pay the fees via Online Payment Gateway.
Important Note : Once you make the payment, you will get an Application Number. Please make a note of this Application Number as this will help of it you will be able to view or download your Name Change Gazette in future. Please note that your Name Change Application will be printed only after approval from DGPS.
This is the complete name change procedure in Maharashtra. If you want to view or download the Name Change Gazette Notification in Maharashtra, you can read the article given below.
If you still have any issues, you can contact the Helpline Number & Email Address of Maharashtra e-Gazette :
Helpline : 022-6131 6404
Email : Support@mahaonline.gov.in
You may also like to Read :
- How to Download Name Change Gazette Notification in Maharastra ?
- How to Change Name in PAN Card ?
- How to Change Name in Aadhaar Card ?
- How to Change Name in Passport ?
- How to Change Name in CBSE Marksheet ?
Note : We are not legally qualified and this Name Change Procedure data is based some research and Personal Experience.