8 Best Tourist Attractions in Shimla
The Capital city of the State of Himachal Pradesh, Shimla is the most popular and easily accessible hill station for people from Punjab , J & K, New Delhi and surrounding areas. Due to its amazing natural beauty, flora and fauna, and the rich cultural activities, it is crowned as Queen of Hill Stations of northern India.
List of Shimla Attractions :
- If you love an evening stroll, Mall Road is the best place to visit. The road is always bustling with the tourists, who roam around everywhere since vehicular activities are banned there.
- About 13 kms from the city of Shimla is situated a non-descript town It has a Wild Life Zoo and rich in flora and fauna as well as in exotic birds. The town gets lot of attention during snowfall as it hosts snow sports.
- Known as the heart of Shimla, The Ridge is the cultural center of this beautiful city and is always abuzz with activities.
- Jakhoo Hill is the home of Hindu deity Lord Hanuman. The ancient temple is known for its linkage with the Lord Hanuman and a festival is celebrated every year there.
- The abode of Bhupinder Singh, the Maharaja of Chail, when he was in exile, Chail Palace had the status of summer capital during later part of the British rule. The charming palace is tastefully furnished by the State Government. It is liked by the tourists due to its beautiful location and equally nice interiors.
- Summer Hill is a small inhabitation on the periphery of Shimla. The legend is that Mahatma Gandhi stayed there in his years of freedom struggle against Britishers. Earlier known as Visceral Lodge, currently it is the home of Himachal University and Indian Institute of Advanced Studies.
- Shimla State Museum depicts the rich heritage of Himachal Pradesh in the form of art, history and archaeology. It was earlier a mansion of high ranking British dignitary.
- Chadwick Falls offer a real experience of adventure in the narrow trails and a little waterfall of shivering water. A word of caution: you need to adapt to survival techniques because you trail there on your own. Moreover, it is purely a natural place with hardly any human activities around, so, do not look it as a picnic place.
Shimla Weather :
Summer Season : 19 – 28 Degree Celsius
Winter Season : -1 – 10 Degree Celsius
How to Reach ?
- By Road : HPTDC buses are available from all major North Indian states to reach Shimla. Shortest route is about 360 kms.
- By Train : Narrow gauge Toy Trains are also available from Kalka Station(KLK) every day to reach Shimla(SML). Kalka is well connected to Chandigarh(CDG) and New Delhi Railway Stations.
Approximate Distance of Shimla from some nearby Railway Stations :
Chandigarh(CDG) : 107 km
Kalka(KLK) : 87 km
New Delhi(NDLS) : 350 km
- By Air : Airport at Jubarhati, is approximately 23 kilometres from the town.
I hope you liked reading about Top Tourist Attractions in Shimla. You can feel free to write about your trip to Shimla or Ask Questions about Shimla Attractions.
You may Also Like to Know about Other Major Hill Stations in North India: