Home / India / Govt Documents / How to get Local Address Proof in India ?

How to get Local Address Proof in India ?

The reason why you have landed on this page might be that you don’t have a local address proof and you are struggling to get one. Don’t worry as our detailed article will help you to make local address proof in India. Adress Proof is required while you apply for various important documents like PAN Card, Aadhaar Card, Ration Card, Voter ID Card, Passport, Gas Connection, Bank Account etc. Except PAN Card all of these are already treated as valid and acceptable address proof documents.


Major Reasons why you still don’t have an Address Proof :-

  1. Never applied for an Address Proof.
  2. Transferred, posted or relocated to a new location for work.
  3. Relocated at a new location for higher studies.
  4. You were not present at home when voter id or aadhaar card was being made.

How to get Local Address Proof in India ?

You  might get to see different ways to get address proof in India. However, we will discuss the easiest and the fastest way to get a local address proof in India. Once you have 1 address proof, you can use it to get another address proof. We suggest you to use one or more options out of the 6 mentioned below to change your address in your Bank Account, Credit Card Statements or Postpaid Mobile/BSNL/MTNL Telephone Bill. You can then use your Bank Account Passbook or Statement as a starting point to get another address proof documents.

So, Let’s Get Started !

1) Letter from your Company

A letter from your Company stating your new residential address can be used to change your address in many government issued documents. So, without much delay contact your HR to certify your new residential address.

2) Rental Agreement

If you are living at a flat or house on rent, you must already be having a Notary or Registered rental agreement which can be used to change your address in any document. If you don’t have one, get it now !

3) Credit Card

If you are using a Credit Card, you can easily change your address in your credit card statements. For this change of address you only need to call the customer care & update the new address & wait for next statement. Credit Card statements are accepted almost everywhere to update your address in any document.

4) LIC Policy

If you already have an LIC Policy, you can change your address just by giving an application. If you dont have one, you can take a minimum amount LIC Policy. The address mentioned on the policy will act as an address proof.

5) Income Tax Assessment Order

If you are an Income Tax payer, you might already be having Income Tax Assessment Order with you. You can easily change your address on it or as your CA to do it for you. This Income Tax Assessment Order can be used to update your address in bank account or bank statement or any other document.

6) Certificate of address signed and attested by a Member of Parliament or Member of Legislative Assembly or Municipal Councilor or a Gazetted Officer.

Nowadays, a Certificate of address signed and attested by a Member of Parliament or Member of Legislative Assembly or Municipal Councilor or a Gazetted Officer is accepted at most of the places for address updation. If you visit any Nationalized Banks for Address Updation, they will surely accept this letter.

Once you have an address proof using the above mentioned options, you can use that address proof to get your other documents easily.

Also See : What to do if your Wallet is lost or Stolen ?

Common Address Proof Documents in India

  • Indian Passport.
  • Bank Statement/ Bank Passbook.
  • Post Office Account Statement/Post Office Passbook.
  • Ration Card.
  • Voter ID/ECIP.
  • Driving License.
  • Government Photo ID cards issued by State and Central Government/ Service photo identity card issued by PSU(Public Sector Undertaking).
  • Electricity Bill (Not more than 3 months old).
  • Water bill (Not more than 3 months old).
  • Landline Telephone Bill (Not more than 3 months old).
  • Property Tax Receipt (Not more than 3 months old).
  • Credit Card Statement (Not more than 3 months old).
  • Insurance Policy.
  • Signed Letter having Photo from Bank on Letterhead.
  • Signed Letter having Photo issued by registered Company on letterhead.
  • Signed Letter having Photo issued by Recognized Educational Institution on letterhead.
  • NREGS Job Card.
  • Arms License.
  • Pensioner Card.
  • Freedom Fighter Card issued to Freedom Fighters.
  • Kissan Passbook issued to Farmers.
  • CGHS(Central Government Health Scheme) / ECHS(Ex Serviceman Contributory Health Scheme) Photo Card.
  • Certificate of Address having photo issued by MP(Member of Parliament) or MLA(Member of Legislative Assembly) or Gazetted Officer or Tehsildar on letterhead.
  • Certificate of Address issued by Village Panchayat head or its equivalent authority (For rural areas/Villages).
  • Income Tax Assessment Order.
  • Vehicle Registration Certificate issued by RTO.
  • Registered Sale / Lease / Rent Agreement of Property.
  • Address Card having Photo issued by Postal Department.
  • Caste and Domicile Certificate having Photo issued by State Government.
  • Disability ID Card/handicapped medical certificate issued by the respective State/UT Governments/Administrations.
  • Gas Connection Bill (Not more than 3 months old).
  • Passport of Spouse(For Passport – In Case of Married Person).
  • Passport of Parents(in case of Minors under the age of 18 years).

Hope that now you know how to make address proof document in India. If you have any queries or feedback, do leave your comments below.

You may also like to Read :

About Anirudh Singh

Anirudh Singh is a passionate blogger and the man behind Amazing India Blog. He has 5 years of experience in the newspaper industry and he founded Amazing India Blog in 2015. Apart from writing and editing articles on Travel, Business and Technology at Amazing India Blog, he also contributes to other well known newspapers and online news blogs.