Home / India / Govt Documents / How to Apply for Marriage Certificate in Delhi ?

How to Apply for Marriage Certificate in Delhi ?

A Marriage Certificate is a documentary proof of a marriage taken place between a bride and a groom. This is the biggest legal proof of a marriage in India. The marriage certificate may prove helpful while applying for many documents. Marriage Certificate also supports the case when a woman wants to change her surname on her documents issued by Government.

Marriage Certificate can help a woman change the Surname on documents like :

  • Pan Card
  • Aadhaar Card
  • Passport
  • Voter ID Card
  • Bank Account
  • Gazette of India (Gazette Notification)

How to apply for a Marriage Certificate in Delhi ?

You can apply for a Marriage Certificate once it has taken place. There are a few documents which are required to be produced alongwith the duly signed & filled Application Form by both husband and wife.

Documents Required to apply for a Marriage Certificate in Delhi

  1. An Application form duly filled & signed by both husband and wife.
  2. Date of birth proof of both the parties i.e., Husband & Wife (Matriculation or High School Certificate / Passport / Birth Certificate). Do make sure that minimum age of both husband & wife is 21 years at the time of registration under the Special Marriage Act.
  3. A copy of Ration card of husband or wife whose area SDM has been approached for the certificate.
  4. In case of Special Marriage Act, Address Proof of the stay in Delhi of both the parties for more than 30 days (ration card or report from the concerned SHO).
  5. A notarized Affidavit is required by both the parties(husband and wife) stating place and date of marriage, date of birth, marital status at the time of marriage and nationality.
  6. Two passport size photographs of both the parties(husband & wife) and one marriage photograph(of both husband and wife combined).
  7. Marriage invitation card (Only if available, not mandatory)
  8. If marriage took place at a religious place, a certificate from the priest is required who solemnized the marriage.
  9. Affirmation that the parties are not related to each other within the prohibited degree of relationship as per Hindu Marriage Act or Special Marriage Act as the case may be.
  10. Attested copy of divorce decree/order in case of a divorcee and death certificate of spouse in case of widow/widower.
  11. In cases where one of the parties belong to other than Hindu, Budhist, Jain and Sikh religions, a conversion certificate is required from the priest who solemnized the marriage(in case of Hindu Marriage Act).

Note : All applicants must get all the documents attested by a gazetted Officer excluding receipt.

Fees to be Submitted

  • Rs. 100/- in case of Hindu Marriage Act, and
  • Rs.150/- in case of Special Marriage Act

The fees is to be deposited with the cashier of District and the receipt should be attached with the application form.

Know about Marriage Acts

A) Hindu Marriage Act

Verification of all the documents of both the parties is carried out on the date of application and a particular day is fixed and intimated to the parties for registration. On the particular day, both parties, alongwith a Gazetted Officer who attended their marriage, need to be present before the SDM. The Certificate is issued on the same day.

B) Special Marriage Act

Both parties(Husband & Wife) needs to be present after submission of documents for issuance of public notice inviting objections. Also, One copy of notice is pasted on the notice board of the office and copy of the notice is sent by registered post to both parties(Husband & Wife) as per address given by them. Registration is done 30 days after the date of notice after deciding any objection that may have been received during that period by the SDM. Both parties alongwith three witnesses are required to be present on the date of registration.

Where to go to Submit the Application & Timings ?

Where to Go ? : Both parties together needs to visit the office of Sub-Divisional Magistrate in whose jurisdiction any of the husband or wife resides.

Timings : 9.30 a.m. to 1.00 p.m. on any working day.

You can get the contact address of the SDM in whose jurisdiction in your colony lies by clicking on the link below.

Get the Contact Address of the SDM 

Download the appropriate Forms

  1. Download the Application Form for registration of marriage under Hindu Marriage Act.
  2. Download the Application Form for registration of marriage under Special Marriage Act.
  3. Download the Identification Certificate a)any person having PAN of income Tax (OR) b) any officer/official of Central or State govt. or UT Administration or PSU/Autonomous bodies whose identity can be established.
  4. Affidavit

How much time does it usually take for the complete process ?

You can usually expect response within 15 days in case of registration of marriage under Hindu Marriage Act and 60 days under Special Marriage Act.

You may also like to Read:

About Anirudh Singh

Anirudh Singh is a passionate blogger and the man behind Amazing India Blog. He has 5 years of experience in the newspaper industry and he founded Amazing India Blog in 2015. Apart from writing and editing articles on Travel, Business and Technology at Amazing India Blog, he also contributes to other well known newspapers and online news blogs.