Home / India / Govt Documents / Passport / How to Apply for Passport Online in India ? (Complete Procedure)

How to Apply for Passport Online in India ? (Complete Procedure)

How to Apply for Passport Online in India ?

Every Indian Citizen should have Indian Passport as it is the biggest proof of Citizenship. The Offline process to apply for Passport is really time consuming. So, with time the Ministry of External Affairs have started the Online Procedure for Passport applicants.  Nowadays, most of the people follow the Online Procedure for applying for Indian Passport. You must not entertain any Agents for this purpose. This is a simple procedure which you can follow by yourself and would just Cost you Rs.1500 whereas agents could charge you anywhere between Rs.6000-Rs.10000 or even more.

Also Read : Drive from Delhi to Thailand Via Myanmar with Indian Passport 

So, lets get started with the process of ‘How to Apply for Passport Online in India’

apply passport online in india

Step 1 :  First you need to reach the Passport Seva Website. Go to Google and type Passport Seva, click on the first link & you will reach the Passport Seva Website.

Step 2Click on Register Now at the left hand side. You will be directed to a User Registration Form.

Step 3 : Fill this User Registration Form as described below and Click on Register

How to apply for passport online in india application form

Step 4 : After successfully completing the User Registration, you will reach the Applicant Home Page. Here you need to Click on the first link i.e, ” Apply for Fresh Passport/Re-issue of Passport

Filling Application Form 

Step 5

Here you will find 2 Alternatives to fill up your Passport Application Form

Alternative 1 :

Downloading the Soft Copy(Pdf Format) of the Application form. Filling it up Offline and Uploading after filling it up completely (Highly Recommended)

Alternative 2 :

Filling up the form Online and Submitting instantly

We would recommend you to go with the Alternative 1 as you can take as much time as you need to fill up the form as you can do it offline.

How to Follow Alternative 1 :

  • Click on the link to download the application form i.e., ” Click here to download the Soft Copy of the Form “.
  • Once you click on this link, your form will be downloaded in a Zip Folder.
  • Please Unzip this folder to find the Passport Application Form in Pdf Fomat
  • Double Click to Open this file.

Step 6 : Filling Up the Passport Application Form :

Apply Passport Online Filling up Form

  • Select Applying for Fresh Passport ( For First Time Applicants) / Re-issue of Passport (For Re-Issuing of Passport)
  • Type of Application should be Normal . People who want a Passport in emergency may Select Tatkal
  • Select the Number of Pages you want in the Passport Booklet
  • Enter your Given Name/ First Name
  • Enter your Surname 
  • Select YES if you are known by any other names as well.Mention your Other Name(s) and Surname(s). Otherwise Select NO
  • Select YES if you have ever changed your name. Mention your Old name(s) and Surname(s). Otherwise Select NO
  • Enter your Date of Birth in DD/MM/YYYY format. Eg 22/07/1987
  • Select YES if your place of Birth is Out of India. All Indian Citizens must select NO
  • Enter the name of your Village/City/Town, State, District 
  • Enter your Gender (Male/Female) & Marital Status (Single/Married/Widow/Divorced/Separated)
  • All India Citizens must select Citizen of India by Birth
  • Enter your Pan Card Number and Voter ID Card Number (If Available). If you do not have a Pan Card and/or Voter ID, you can leave the respective box blank.
  • Select your Employment Type 
  • Select YES if your Father/Mother/Spouse is a Government Servant. Otherwise Select NO.
  • Select your Educational Qualification 
  • If your Qualification is 10th Standard or Above then you are eligible for Non-ECR Category. Otherwise NO
  • You must mention about any Mark on your Face/Neck/Shoulder which is clearly visible
  • Mention your Aadhaar Card Number (If Available)
  • Mention your Father’s Name & Surname, your Legal Guardian’s Name(If Applicable) , your Mother’s Name & Surname, your Spouse’s Name & Surname. Note : Given Name should also include Middle name (If Any)
  • Select NO if your Present Address is in India. Otherwise Select YES.
  • Select YES if you Permanent Address is same as your Present Address. Otherwise Select NO.
  • Fill out your Emergency Contact Details such as Emergency Contact Person’s Name & Address, Mobile Number, Telephone Number & Email Address.
  • Fill out the Contact details of 2 References in your City/Town/Village :  Contact Person’s Name & Address, Mobile Number & Telephone Number.
  • Enter your Previous Passport Application Details : Select YES if you have held any Official or Diplomatic Passport. Otherwise select NO. If you have applied for a passport before and it was not issued to you, then Select YES. Otherwise Select NO
  • Enter Other Details : (1) If you have charged with any criminal proceedings ever, Select YES. Otherwise Select NO. (2) In the last 5 years, if have you been convicted by any Court or been jailed for 2 years of More Select YES. Otherwise Select NO (3) If you have ever been refused or denied for Passport , Select YES. Otherwise Select NO. (4) If your passport has even been impounded or revoked, you must Select YES. Otherwise Select NO. (5) If you have ever applied for any political asylum in any other country, Select YES. Otherwise Select NO. (6) If you have ever returned to India on Emergency Certificate or have been deported by any other country, Select YES. Otherwise Select NO.
  • Read the Self Declaration & Check on I Agree
  • Mention the Name of the Place and Date 
  • Finally click on Validate and Save. This will save your Passport Application E-form in Xml Format. This completes your for filling process to apply passport online.

Know about : List of Documents accepted as Address & Date of Birth Proof ?

Step 7 : Now, you need to be on the Applicant Home Page again &  Click on the Link ” Apply for Fresh Passport/ Re-issue a Passport ” . In Alternative 1, there is a link to upload your e-form. Click on the link “Click here to upload the filled form.”

Step 8 : Choose your fully filled XML E-form from your Computer’s Directory Path. Click on YES if you want to go for Passport Seva Services. Otherwise Click NO. Check if you want to enrol for any other extra benefits. Finally Click on Upload to submit your E-form. This will generate your ARN Number. You can now check your Submitted Application with ARN Number at Applicant Home Page.

Step 9 : For booking an Appointment at your Passport Seva Kendra(PSK) or Regional Passport Office (RPO), you need to select your ARN Number in Applicant Home Page. Just below your details click on the link to Book an Appointment. You will get the availability of dates and respective PSK and/or RPO. You may finalize the date of appointment according to your convenience.

A fee of Rs.1500 will be charged for Booking the Appointment. Three chances are given to the person for Booking an Appointment with the payment of Rs.1500. Accepted mode of Payment is by Credit/Debit Cards, By Bank Deposit or By Bank Draft. In the process to apply passport Online and Booking appointment, this is a must process.

Apply Passport Online Girl Indian

Note : Remember to carry all your Original documents and 2 set of Self Attested Photostat copies of each. Also carry your duly signed Passport form with your photograph pasted on it.

Passport Appointment 

When you reach the Regional Passport Office or Passport Seva Kendra on you Appointment Date and Time,

1. Your Original Documents will be checked and you will be asked for the Photostat Documents.

2. After verification of your Documents, you will be asked to give your Biometric Information like your Finger Prints and Thumb Impressions of both the hands. Your photograph will also be clicked for online records. In this step also, you may be asked to show your Original Documents.

3. After completing both the above steps, you will be handed over a Final Acknowledgement Receipt, which you must keep safely.

Police Verification 

2-3 weeks after your Appointment Date, you will be intimated about the Initiation of Police Verification Request for your Passport Application File at the Police Station/Thana specified by you while filling up the Application Form.

If you did not receive any intimation, you can track the status of your Passport Application by entering your File Number and Date of Birth.

You will receive an e-mail as specified below:-

Passport Police Verification

You will go through Police Verification at the address specified by you. At the time of Police Verification, you will also be asked for the Photostat copies of all the documents which you submitted at your RPO/PSK with your Application. Also, you will be required to take Signature, Name & Addresses of 2 Witnesses on a Police Verification Form issued by the Police Department. The invigilating officer will provide you with this Form. Within 1-2 weeks after the ‘Clear’ Police Verification Report , you will undergo LIU Verification.

Important Note : If your verification is not done within 3 weeks, you should get in touch with your Police Station.

LIU (Local Intelligence Unit) Verification

Lastly, you will under LIU Verification in which you will be asked few basic questions about your Family, your profession, your permanent address, father’s /Husband’s Name and Profession etc.

Once you have a clear LIU Verification, Your Passport will be dispatched to your Postal Address approximately within a month’s time. You will receive an Email and SMS as soon as your Passport is dispatched with the details of Speed Post.

Important Note : During Police Verification or LIU Verification, you may be asked for some Bribe. We request you not to entertain any Bribe at any point of time during the Complete Procedure while making your Passport. Remember that Rs.1500 is the Total Fee you pay while Booking your Appointment. You do not have to pay any other fee apart from this Amount. Don’t forget to file a complaint to passport vigilance if asked for a bribe.

This is the procedure of ‘How to Apply for Passport Online in India?’. If you have any doubts or queries on the process to apply passport online, you may leave your comments below.

You may also like to Read :

About Anirudh Singh

Anirudh Singh is a passionate blogger and the man behind Amazing India Blog. He has 5 years of experience in the newspaper industry and he founded Amazing India Blog in 2015. Apart from writing and editing articles on Travel, Business and Technology at Amazing India Blog, he also contributes to other well known newspapers and online news blogs.