Home / India / Govt Documents / Passport / Indian Passport for Minor

Indian Passport for Minor

Indian Passport for Minor

Passport for Minors below 15 Years of Age

Children under the age of eighteen years are considered as minors in India. To get an Indian Passport for Minor has a separate procedure. A Passport for a child below the age of 15 years, with 36 pages shall be valid for a period of 5 years from the date of issue or until the child attains the age of 15 years, which ever is earlier.

Also See : 

Passport for Minors between 15 to 18 Years of Age

Do remember that the Minors between 15 to 18 years of age can apply either for (1) 10-year validity passport or (2) they can apply for a passport, which is valid till they attain the age of 18 years. Also, you need to keep in mind that Fee for a 10-year validity passport is higher than fee for a passport, which is valid till they attain the age of 18 years. We would also like to tell you that a 10-year validity passport cannot be issued to applicants without police verification on submission of parent’s passport. If passport is required on an urgent basis, they can apply under Tatkaal scheme.

For minors there are some additional documents required for Indian Passport.

Additional Documents for Indian Passport for Minor :

  1. Attested Copies of first four and last four pages of valid Passport, if any, of at least one parent in which the other parent’s name is endorsed OR Copies of application fee receipt (In case parents’ passports are under process at Regional Passport Office). Do remember that Parent’s passport should have the same address as that in the minor’s application in the Present Address column.
  2. An affidavit is to be provided by both parents giving their consent to the issue of a passport to their minor child. In case one of the parents of the minor applicant is abroad, an affidavit conveying his/her No Objection to issue of passport to the minor, countersigned by the authorized officer in the Indian Mission abroad should be provided.
  3. If the minor applicant is solely in the care of a single parent an affidavit justifying the same should be submitted.
  4. In case of legally divorced parents, the order from the competent court ordering the custody of the child has to be attached to the application unless the divorce decree itself contains the order pertaining to the custody of the child.
  5. In case the minor has separated but not divorced parents, an affidavit has to be submitted by the parent applying for minor child’s passport.
  6. In case the minor applicant is in care of legal guardian, sworn affidavits should be furnished respectively.
  7. You would also need to provide Birth certificate/School certificate towards proof of date of birth and name of parents.

In Case of Adopted Child

In case of an adopted child, application must be submitted by the adopting parents of the Minor Child along with Adoption Deed registered with the Registrar. Also, remember that A court order in respect of guardianship and permitting the child to be taken out of the country is necessary for issuing the passport. For children adopted from Orphanages / Charitable institutions, the order of the competent Court granting custody of the child to the adopting parents is also required to be furnished along with the application.

You may also like to Read :

About Anirudh Singh

Anirudh Singh is a passionate blogger and the man behind Amazing India Blog. He has 5 years of experience in the newspaper industry and he founded Amazing India Blog in 2015. Apart from writing and editing articles on Travel, Business and Technology at Amazing India Blog, he also contributes to other well known newspapers and online news blogs.