Home / India / Govt Documents / Gazette / Name Change Procedure in Maharashtra Gazette Online

Name Change Procedure in Maharashtra Gazette Online

I have seen a lot of people facing issues in getting their name changed in Maharashtra. So, if you are a resident of Maharashtra and you want to know the legal procedure to change name in Maharashtra, this article is for you. The name change procedure in Maharashtra is quite easy and can also be done online. Earlier we have talked about Name Change Procedure in Gazette of India, which has a bit complex procedure as compared to name change in Maharashtra.

Name Change Procedure in Maharashtra Gazette Online

A lot of people think that name change procedure in Maharashtra would take a lot of time. However, Department of Government Printing & Stationary, Mumbai has come up with online procedure for change of name in Maharashtra. With the introduction of name change procedure in Maharashtra online, people can follow the easy steps and make the payment online for change of name. An applicant can view or download the name change gazette notification after approval from DGPS.

There are a lot of cases in which people may like to change their name :

  • Name Change in Maharashtra due to Marriage.
  • Name Change in Maharashtra due to Divorce.
  • Name Change in Maharashtra due to Change of Religion.
  • Name Change in Maharashtra due to any Miscellaneous Reason.

Name Change Procedure in Maharashtra Gazette Online

Before we start with the name change process and procedure to fill up name change application in Maharashtra, make sure you have a valid Aadhaar Card and your Mobile Number is associated with your Aadhaar. An Aadhaar Number is required during the process and associated mobile number is required for receiving an OTP(One Time Password). If you do not have an it, you can book appointment for Aadhaar Enrolment and apply for aadhaar card online.

Once you have an Aadhaar Card in your name, you can follow the step by step procedure given below to change your Name in Gazette of Maharashtra.

1) Open this Website : https://dgps.maharashtra.gov.in/

2) To view your name change application in “English” click on English. To view application in “Marathi” click on Marathi. You can find this link at the top right hand side of the page.

To apply Online for Name Change, click Change in Name link on the left hand sidebar, under Online Services.

3) Enter your Login ID &  Password. First Time Users must click the link “Create New Account” to create a new account first.

4) Select Change In Name.

Note : With the help of Transaction History you can find Past Transaction and Receipts.

5) Read all the instructions for Change in Name.

6) Download the Change in Name form, print it, fill up the form completely with each and every detail. Scan the filled up form. This form is to be attached along with scanned copy of other documents.

7) Put a tick mark on the box corresponding to “I accept above conditions“.

8) Click on Next tab to view your Online application form of Name Change.

Note for OTP Request

1) Enter your valid 12 digit UID(Aadhaar Card) Number in the text box, in order to fetch photo id & address details in the following application form.

2) Click on Search. 

You will now see a popup window which says “Dear Customer, Please note that your Mobile Number must be registered with Aadhaar to get your One Time Password(OTP)”.

3)  If your mobile number is registered with Aadhaar, you can click on Continue.

Otherwise, you can read this article on : How to Register Mobile Number with Aadhaar Card ?

4) You will now receive OTP on your Mobile Number registered with Aadhaar.

The message will look something like this : OTP for Aadhaar (XXXX2323) is 304030 and is valid for 10 minutes. (Generated at 27/07/2016 08:34:37)

5) Click on Validate OTP (One time password) after entering the OTP received on your mobile number.

6) Click on Proceed button. All data that is fetched through Aadhaar OTP could be seen in the application form after authentication.

7) Select the for caste category that applies for you from the options OPEN /BACKWORD in Online application form.

If you select the option IsBackword, then your need to attach Old Name of Caste Certificate.

Note : Open Category Application form fees = Rs. 522.47/- & Backward Category Application form fees= Rs. 272.47/- [Last Updated : 27/07/2016]

8) If the applicant is Minor i.e., below 18 yrs, click on IsMinor check box.

9) Enter each and every information which is required to be displayed in Name Change Gazette such as OLD NAME, NEW NAME & ADDRESS.

Note : If the Applicant wants to add District, Taluka and Village in Gazette, it should be added in Address field.

10) Tick Mark on I Accept box and click on Proceed to continue.

11) Attach all the required documents.

Mandatory documents for Name Change in Maharashtra are Scanned Copies of Photo, Photo Id Proof, Address Proof & Completely filled up Name Change form.

Follow the following steps to attach your documents.

  • Select Document Type from drop down.
  • Select Document Name from drop down.
  • Browse documents in .jpeg, .jpg and in .pdf format. Size of the file should be upto 500 kb only.
  • Click on ADD button to add the document.

12) Click to Continue to proceed for online payment (Note: The applicant needs to attach Old Name Caste Certficate, if applied under Backward category)

13) Pay the fees via Online Payment Gateway.

Important Note : Once you make the payment, you will get an Application Number. Please make a note of this Application Number as this will help of it you will be able to view or download your Name Change Gazette in future. Please note that your Name Change Application will be printed only after approval from DGPS.

This is the complete name change procedure in Maharashtra. If you want to view or download the Name Change Gazette Notification in Maharashtra, you can read the article given below.

If you still have any issues, you can contact the Helpline Number & Email Address of Maharashtra e-Gazette :

Helpline : 022-6131 6404

Email : [email protected]

You may also like to Read : 

Note : We are not legally qualified and this Name Change Procedure data is based some research and Personal Experience.

About Anirudh Singh

Anirudh Singh is a passionate blogger and the man behind Amazing India Blog. He has 5 years of experience in the newspaper industry and he founded Amazing India Blog in 2015. Apart from writing and editing articles on Travel, Business and Technology at Amazing India Blog, he also contributes to other well known newspapers and online news blogs.


  1. Hi,
    I am Delhite and currently in Mumbai. I had change mu (surname change) in 2009 and got it changed in passport, PAN, and election id card.
    But I did not change in Gazette that time.

    Now if I get it change in Mahrashtra Gazette, will it be applicable to entire India. OR will I be able to get it change to Maharashtra at all as I am a Delhi guy having all ids with delhi address.

    Please help.

  2. Hi Dheeraj,

    This Article is mainly for Name Change in Maharashtra. Although, you can use article as well. But as you are a Delhite by Birth, I would ask you to get your Name changed in Gazette of India.

  3. Hi Anirudh,
    Thanks for your prompt response.

    So to get it change in Gazette of India, as you mentioned, I will have to get it published in newspaper again, and new notary affidavit as well as they both are of 2009 only. Right?
    Do I also have to show any proof with old name? I don’t have any except my academic certificates where I did not change my name.

    Dheeraj Ahuja

  4. Hi Dheeraj,

    Yes you will need new newspaper publications and affidavit (max. 6 months old). You can search for Name Change Procedure in Gazette of India, you will find the complete procedure by Amazing India.

  5. Hi Anirudh
    Can I know how much time exactly it will take for complete procedure, as I need it very urgently and is that compulsory to give adversitie in English newspaper.

  6. Hello,

    I am from Maharashtra..
    Dose notary and news publications require before applying for online procedure.


    Saurabh Jain

  7. Hi Anirudh

    Your blogs are amazing. Very informative.

    I am born and brought up in Maharashtra .Currently staying in Bangalore.
    I want to change my last name and Just want to confirm ..

    Do I have to make affidavit and news paper publication or just Online application for e-Gazette is enough?

    Once the name has been changed , i have to change it for other documents too like Pan card ,
    Adhar card ,Driving License , and bank details..etc.

    Any help will be much appreciated.

    Thank you.

  8. How can I change my fathers name and spelling mistake in my surname

  9. Sir I have studied in Maharashtra but now I live in Hyderabad so I don’t have any proof for making Maharashtra gazette so sir what I want to do plzz give suggestion

  10. Dear Anirudh,

    Thanks for such an informative article and sounding the procedure so simple.

    I have one query, I got married and currently in Mumbai however I will be shifting to US soon.

    If I change my name in Maharashtra Gazette, will the gazeete be acceptable overall world or will I need to change it in Indian Gazette.

    Kindly advise.


  11. Hi Anirudh

    i had applied for Gazette and my changed name also appeared in Rajpatra status
    But does we get any certificate from DGPS??? which can be presented while applying for name change on PAN, ADHAAR or passport

  12. hi
    I want to change my baby’s name who is just 09 months old. Is it possible?? How to do it??

  13. Hello Anirudhji. Thanks a lot for the amazing article on name change. So as per ur blog there is only online process in Maharashtra? I want to change name of my son. He is 6 yrs old. He have Aadhar and passport. But now we want to change his name. I’m still confused since many websites say affidavit then newspaper ad and then gazette. So can u pls confirm whether online process is sufficient.

  14. Hi my name is Deepak Nagare and I want to correct the spelling mistake on my caste certificate as there is a minor mistake is there, it is written as Dipak Nagare whereas on all my educational documents it is written as Deepak Nagare which is my original name, so I want to correct it on my caste certificate, so please give me the suggestion what to do….

  15. HI

    I applied for name correction in my middle name today through online & got the online payment receipt. How much time it would take to get the gazette application from now.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.