India is a country full of colours, traditions and culture. Not we will tell you about some amazing Indian Culture Facts, but also some mind blowing facts about Indian Constitution. There are lot of other facts about India which you may not know till now. India has a rich history and it is not possible to list all facts about India. We will tell you about some amazing facts about India which you may have not heard till now. Although you may be knowing about some of these facts on India, but still majority of these India Facts will surely surprise you.
78 Surprising Facts about India that you Did not Know !
1) In every 12 years a popular religious gathering known as Kumbh Mela takes place in India. It is known to be world’s largest gathering of people.
2) India is well known as the world’s oldest, most advanced and continuous civilization.
3) India has the world’s longest constitution with 448 articles, 12 schedules and 94 amendments.
4) India is known to be been the largest contributor of troops to the United Nations Peacekeeping Missions ever since its inception.
5) India has the third largest army of the World, after China and USA.
6) The Tirupati Balaji temple in Andhra Pradesh and the Kashi Vishwanath Temple both combined receive more visitors than both Vatican City (near Rime) and Mecca (in Saudi Arabia).
7) The Constituent Assembly took about 3 long years (two years, eleven months and seventeen days) to complete the big historic task of drafting the Constitution for Independent India.
8) The Kumbh Mela gathering is so huge that it is also visible from the space.
9) Varanasi is known to be the World’s oldest, continuously inhabited city today.
10) The British singer, songwriter and record producer, Freddie Mercury is of Indian descent.
11) Indian Railways employs more than 1.4 million people which is more than the population of many countries.
12) Over 54 crore people voted in 2014 General Election in India which is more than the population of USA, UK, Australia and Japan combined.
13) Number of births in India every year is more than the total population of Australia, and many other nations.
14) India has the largest English speaking population in the world.
15) At an estimate, 25% of the total workforce of the world’s population will be from India in the next year or so.
16) India’s first rocket was brought on cycle and a satellite on bullock cart.
17) Popular Board Game Snakes and Ladders was originated in India.
18) In spite of budgetary issues, space program of India is one of the World’s top 5 space programs.
19) Bandra Worli Sealink is said to have steel wires which is equal to the circumference of the Earth.
20) In an Incident in 2004, 200 women fully armed with knives and chilli powder went to the court and stabbed a serial rapist – Akku Yadav. Every woman took full responsibility of the murder.
21) The Birth Name of English Actor Sir Ben Kingsley’s is Krishna Pandit Bhanji and surprisingly he is of Indian descent.
22) Lonar Lake, a very popular saltwater lake in Maharashtra State of India, is said to be created by a meteor hitting the Earth.
23) Takshila University is known to be World’s first university and was started around 700 BC.
24) India has world’s largest school in terms of total students which is the City Montessori School in Lucknow. This school is known to have over 45 thousand students.
25) Not Only Rabindranath Tagore wrote India’s National Anthem, he also wrote the national anthem of Bangladesh.
26) The famous Hockey player Dhyan Chand was offered German Citizenship, however declined the offer.
27) The National Kabaddi team of India has won all the Kabaddi World Cups till date.
28) Maharashtra’s Shani Shingnapur Village has people living in houses with no doors for generations. Even the UCO Bank in Shani Shingnapur is Lockless!
29) Magnetic Hill is a very popular gravity hill near Leh in Ladakh, India. This hill is said to have magnetic properties which pull cars up the hill with their engine turned off.
30) India has the World’s largest postal network with more than 1, 55,015 post offices. India also has a unique floating post office in Dal Lake, Srinagar which was inaugurated in August 2011.
31) Viswanathan Anand is the first player in history of the Chess Game to win the World Championship in three different formats i.e., knockout, tournament, and match.
32) The popular Board Game Chess was invented in India.
33) Buttons were also invented in India. Yes, the buttons on your shirt!
34) Till 1986, diamonds were officially found only in India.
35) India is known to ban all captive dolphins, giving the reason that dolphins should be viewed of non human persons.
36) India’s city of technology Bangalore, has has more Grade-A offices than Singapore.
37) India is the World’s largest producer of films.
38) India is the World’s largest milk producer.
39) Unfortunately, India tops with the most murders (32,719) per year, above Russia which notices 28,904 murders every year.
40) India also invented the ruler. Yes, the Scale!
41) And the concept of Shampoo was also invented in India.
42) Mathematician Aryabhatta from India discovered the number zero & also the first table of sines in trigonometry.
43) The value of pi in Mathematics was invented in India.
44) Also the algebra & calculus were invented in India.
45) Two major religions of the World, Buddhism and Jainism were established in India.
46) Chail Cricket Ground in Indian State of Himachal Pradesh has the highest cricket pitch in the world at an altitude of 2444 meters (above the sea level).
47) The India-Pakistan World Cup 2011 semi-final match in Mohali drew 150 million viewers worldwide.
48) Sachin Tendulkar has the World Record for most number of runs in ODI & Test Cricket Format. He also has the record for most number of Centuries.
49) Cataract Surgery was invented in India.
50) Plastic Surgery was invented in India.
51) Diamond Mining was first started by India.
52) Water on the moon was found by India.
53) To avoid polluting of the elements (fire, earth, water, air), Zoroastrianism followers in India don’t bury their dead relatives, however they leave their bodies in a place called “Towers of Silence” so that the vultures can pick them clean. Once the bones dry of the bodies dry out, they are swept into a central well.
54) India has the World’s largest number of vegetarians.
55) There are so many of them that Pizza Hut had to open India’s first pure vegetarian restaurant.
56) Also, KFC & McDonald’s had to introduce a “vegetarian” menu for its Indian Outlets.
57) India is one of the only three countries(other than US & Japan) which makes super computers.
58) India has the largest road network of the World with more than 1.9 million miles of roads cover the country.
59) Karmanasa River in India is thought to be a cursed river and it is believed that touching the water of this river would ruin one’s plans. You would hardly see any development alongside this river. People living around this river eat dry fruits as cooking would need water.
60) The World’s first Granite Temple, the Brihadeswara Temple is located in Tamil Nadu State of India.
61) India is the World’s first country to consume sugar.
62) In 17th century, India was one of the World’s richest countries.
63) India is the the third largest economy of the World.
64) The world’s shortest women is Jyoti Amge from Nagpur, India.
65) Chai is the national drink of India.
66) India grows 1.2 million tons of mangoes each year, which weights approx. 80,000 blue whales.
67) Mawsynram, a village on the Khasi Hills, Meghalaya, is the wettest inhabited place of earth.
68) Yoga was found in India, that is said to be existing for over 5,000 years.
69) On May 26, Switzerland celebrates Science Day in honour of late former President of India, Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam. The reason is that on May 26, Kalam visited the Switzerland.
70) India is the largest importer of arms in the World.
71) India has never ever invaded or attacked any country.
72) First President of India, Dr. Rajendra Prasad only took only 50% of his salary.
73) Shakuntla Devi was given this title of Human Calculator after she did the multiplication of two 13 digit numbers: 7,686,369,774,870 × 2,465,099,745,779 which were picked at random. Surprisingly, she answered correctly just within 28 seconds.
74) Martial Arts was started by India.
75) Ziona Chana from India has the world’s biggest family. This man has 39 wives and 94 children.
76) India has the World’s Oldest Professional Sharshooter – Dadi Chandro !
77) Ram Singh Chauhan from India has the World’s Longest Moustache.
78) Jyothi Raj from Karnataka scales rocks faster than a Monkey!
This is the complete list of 78 Amazing Facts about India. If you know about more such Facts on India, don’t forget to leave your comments below.
You may also like to Read :
- Mamta Rawat – The Mountaineer who Rescues 500 People in Uttarakhand
- Dr. Prakash Amte – A Selfless Doctor & Social Worker
- Kalyanasundaram – 74 Year Old Librarian who Donated all his Entire Savings to the Poor
- Abid Surti – The Artist who fixes Water Taps in Mumbai for Free
- Jyothi Reddy’s Rags to Riches Story from farm Labourer to US Company CEO